Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Still Here . . .

Hey all!

Wow. I let some time slip away there, didn't I?!

Had some technical difficulties with scales; first, my "so totally scientific scale" (A.K.A. the Wii Fit Board) stopped working, so I couldn't do an official weigh in.

Then, the scale I ordered from Amazon arrived. Broken.

So, I have absolutely no idea how much weight I've lost.

But I can tell you that I've not had a sip of soda, coffee, juice, or alcohol since my last post, and I'm still on a weight loss plan.

Speaking of "plan," I've been considering abandoning Weight Watchers. While counting points is easy, calculating them and keeping track of them is not. I'm not saying that the math is hard, I'm just saying that I don't have that kind of time. Converting recipes to the WW system, then substituting ingredients, then trying to figure out how many people the recipe serves, then figuring out fat/carb/protein/fiber content and converting it to a set of points is a bit much for me.

Instead, I am considering the old-fashioned route of counting calories.

I've discovered this amazing podcast called "Fat to Fit Radio." The experts at the site have devised a system that allows you to input some personal fitness data, and it spits out a baseline number of calories you should consume in a day for your fitness level and goal weight. It's an awesome tool. (Called the "BMR.") According to the information I entered, my personal BMR is 1,790 calories. This is based on the fact that I am currently sedentary (meaning little or no exercise, with a desk job). When I begin routine workouts and strength training, the BMR goes up to over 2,000 calories.

Which means that, with using the BMR and counting calories, all I'd have to do is take a notebook, enter "1,790" at the top of the page, and start a running total for the day. I like that much better than having to pull out a calculator and figure out the points value of food items.

Getting to your goal weight is all about finding what works for YOU. I'm still experimenting, but once I find something I like, it'll be easier for me to stick with. And I'll get the results I want! I'm sure it will be the same for you. What have YOU been doing to get fit lately? :)

One more thing before I go:

If you live in the Northern California area, and are with signal range of this television station, please tune in this Saturday (January 15) in the 9:00am hour. I will be on with one of their awesome reporters discussing my "Water Only for an Entire Year" challenge and what I am doing to get my family healthy in 2011. Can you stand it?!! I'm so stoked!! (PS: Don't pay attention to how messy my house is. We're already prepping items and boxes for our impending move. Even though we haven't found a house yet!)

If you don't get the station signal but are still interested in watching, their website carries a live streaming feed. I'll also be posting the video from the segment and photos of the event once it's over. How exciting!!!

Until next time . . .

Look fabulous. Feel fabulous. BE fabulous.

Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment